Sunday, June 28, 2015

Staining wood

On this post I will be including the stains that I come across. This is information that I have just gathered by use. I will be modifying this page as I get new information and new insights. 

1. Sheenlac Stains
Sheenlac Stains

What I have found : Sheenlac stains are soluble in NC thinner or other such organic solvents. 
Sand the wood, and then apply the stain. 
If you apply the next coat such as sealant that is soluble in NC thinner, the sealant will wash out and become thinner.
Aquadur PU is water based and this can be used over sealant without a problem. 
Using the regular varnish is another alternative. Regular varnish is soluble in turpentine and this does not wash away the stain.
Available colors : Black, red brown, teakwood, rosewood, oak yellow, walnut. 
My favorite: walnut stain. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Vinay,

    One small doubt, I've stained a shelf a few months back, so what would happen to it if i were to apply the aquadur PU on it now, i should add that i usually use the sealant before i put the stain on. So i sand, add sealant and then stain. Any info or even a post just on your use of the PU would be great because the guy where i buy my paints usually tells me to refrain from using PU.

    Regards
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why he would advise you against PU. Regular PU is soluble in thinner. The stains above are also soluble in thinner. What happens is that the PU will remove a little bit of the stain and it will be a little lighter. However after applying PU, the whole complexion and lustre of the stain is brought out.
      Aquadur PU will not wash out the stain as it is a water based PU. However water based PUs have a whitish finish to them and are not fully clear.
      I usually stain the wood and then seal it. I must try sealing and then staining. Whenever one uses stain and PU/sealant, one must be careful about drip marks, as the drip marks rather than being transparent may be stained and very obvious.
      I will post some time about my experiences with PU and stains.

      Delete
  2. Hi Vinay,
    I bought a dining table when I was in Hyderabad, while shifting to chennai, due to handling, the top surface had many scratches and dent marks. I tried to strip off the finish (rosewood) and redo it afresh. I used the paint stripper and light sanding. But it looks like the table is not made out of single wood since the color is very different and now it looks ugly. I am not sure how to upload the photos here, but if you end your mail id to me, i will send you the pics. I am thinking of giving a coat of Sheenlac NC Sanding sealer and use the rosewood dye again. Any suggestions if this will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ఈ కలర్ మాకు కావాలి

    ReplyDelete
  4. sir, i have a doubt. at one job site, the door frame of teakwood has different tones from light brown to walnut like one. how to match them for a door with walnut matte finish laminant?

    ReplyDelete